(2019 Eligibility Requirements to be advised)
All submissions must:
- Be considered to be an Australian podcast (definition below)
- Fit within our definition of what a podcast is (see below)
- Meet our requirement for what is acceptable content (see below)
- Have released a minimum number of episodes over the12-month period preceding the submission deadline.
HOW WE DEFINE AN Australian PODCAST
The Australian Podcast Awards considers a podcast to be Australian if it meets the following criteria:
- Produced in Australia by Australian citizens, or
- Produced anywhere in the world by Australian citizens, containing Australian perspectives and influences, or
- Produced in Australia, by non-Australian citizens, containing Australian perspectives and influences.
HOW WE DEFINE THE PODCAST MEDIUM
We are here to recognise the work done by Australians in the field of podcasting. We define the podcast medium as largely spoken-word audio, available to listen to for free off the internet.
- Podcasts that do not make content available for free are not eligible to enter
- Podcasts that are only available on YouTube are not eligible to enter
HOW WE DEFINE ACCEPTABLE CONTENT
The Australian Podcast Awards is a safe and welcoming space for people of all genders, races, sexualities and religions. What we consider to be acceptable content reflects these values. This does not mean that we won't accept podcasts that contain swearing, adult themes or controviersial topics.
We will not accept podcasts that contain content that we percieve as potentially containing misinformation, advocate for violence, racism, misogeny, or against equality, nor those that minimalise the gravity of topics such as gender, sexuality, violence, race, and equality.
MINIMUM EPISODE REQUIREMENTS (NEWCOMER or SHORT series)
We wish to encourage podcasters at all levels and stages of their career. However, we choose to prioritise the recognition of podcasts that have provided consistent and lasting value to their listeners over time. Therefore we are placing a minimum-episode requirement over all categories apart from "Newcomer or Short Series", which we have created to cater for newer podcasts or those who podcast less frequently.
A podcast is eligible for all self-nominated categories except Newcomer or Short Series if they have released a total of 4 or more episodes in the 12 months leading up to submission deadline.